History of the Château

Přerov Château is located in the middle of town development on the western side of the travertine hill jutting out over the left bank of the Bečva River. It consists of a four-winged building with a round tower surrounded on two sides by a dry moat with a brick bridge leading over it. The stone castle with battlements adjoins the building on the left side.

The castle fortifications existed as early as the 11th and 12th centuries with the structure spread out over the entire surface of the Upper Square. A brick structure, separated from the remains of the grounds by a dry moat came into existence on the north-west part of the square (at present, no. 26) in the first half of the 13th century. A palace was built next to it in the 14th century. The Hungarian army unsuccessfully sieged the stone castle in the year 1253. The area of the town and castle was seriously damaged during the Hussite Wars. The oldest stone elements currently located in the spaces of the château date back to the first half of the 15th century. They consist of the remains of masonry and are visible in the paving stones of the courtyard.
Major remodelling of the entire Upper Square came about at the time of Vilém of Pernštejn who obtained the estate as his inheritance in the year 1487. Vilém had a late Gothic castle built, the ground floor of which is currently the sunk lower floor. The castle consisted of a two-storey palace with a chapel and a round refuge tower which became a significant part of the town fortifications. The late Gothic core has also been preserved in the first floor wing north of the tower. The first stage of reconstruction of the late Gothic castle into a Renaissance Château came about at the time of Vratislav of Pernštejn in the second half of the 16th century. The Renaissance wing of the château with an entrance portal was built only to be remodelled in the Baroque style in the 18th century. The château received a three-winged layout with an irregular rectangular courtyard. It was separated from the neighbouring houses by the deep, still preserved, dry moat which had a hanging bridge spanning it hung on beams. The first owner of the estate to choose Přerov as his permanent seat was Karel the Elder of Žerotín (1598 to 1636). He had to adapt the appearance of the Přerov Château in order to suit this purpose. The Renaissance remodelling of the château culminated over the years 1612 to 1615 with the participation of the local builder Gregor. The second floor of all of the château wings along with a new residential floor of the tower which housed the clock came into being. Stables were placed into the château moat. Karel the Elder of Žerotín was forced to move to Wroclaw in the year 1629 as he was a non-Catholic only to return to Přerov in the year 1633, where he died three years later. His heirs no longer lived in Přerov. The owner of the château Lord Arnošt Petrasch had the conical end of the tower of the château removed due to its poor construction condition in the year 1772. A so-called “light tower” thus came into being with a viewing point of the surroundings. Major construction adaptations in the interiors and exteriors of the château were carried out in the first half of the 19th century at the time of Count Antonín Magnis and his son Vilém. A balcony was established in the southern wing and a new mansard roof was established over parts of the château. The dry moat was changed into gardens. 
The château was no longer used for housing starting in the end of the 19th century and instead contained offices with certain spaces used for classrooms for Přerov schools and even serving for a certain time as a prison. The town of Přerov became the owner of the château as of the year 1918 and carried out extensive reconstruction work under the supervision of the Monument Institute over the years 1927 to 1930. The interior of the château was adapted for museum exhibitions and for a depository. The Žerotín stables were torn down amongst other things and a large lecture and exhibition hall was built on the site of the vaulted two-story connecting corridor. These interventions can be seen as insensitive from today's perspective. A major section of the vaulted and roof construction was removed and replaced with new elements. The uncovered architectural details from the older construction phases were removed and placed at various points on the façade and in the interior. The château tower received a new silhouette in the year 1998 inspired by an old painting of the town. The revitalization of the château grounds continued over the next decades with the remodelling of the Mervart hall in the surroundings. Statics measures on the building were carried out along with reconstruction of the ceilings, roof, façade with the windows and the entrance gates, heating of the building and paving to the courtyards. The bridge and other castle wall were also repaired and the town gallery of Přerov was established in the operational area.

Owners of the Přerov Castle/Château:

up to the year 1487  regional (margrave, later royal) castle (over the years 1401 to 1487 discontinued)
1487 až 1596 Pernštejns
1596 až 1688 Žerotíns
1690 až 1695 Karel Julius Sedlnický of Choltice
1695 až 1732 Windischgrätzs
1732 až 1745 Jan Vincenc Želecký of Počenice at Všechovice
1745 až 1763 Petřvalds of Petřvald
1763 až 1766 Count Josef of Khuenburg
1766 až 1780 Lords of Petrasch
1780 až 1795 Lord Hyacint of Bretton
1795 až 1917 Counts of Magnis
1917 až 1918 Moravian Agrarian and Mortgage Bank in Brno
od 10. dubna 1918 The town of Přerov