Historical cartography

The collection contains maps, plans and vedutas from the 16th up to the 20th centuries which were published in various countries of Europe (the Czech Republic, France, Holland, Italy, Germany, Austria, etc.).

The collection contains maps, plans and vedutas from the 16th up to the 20th centuries which were published in various countries of Europe (the Czech Republic, France, Holland, Italy, Germany, Austria, etc.).

The largest part of the collections consist of various editions and derivatives of Comenius maps of Moravia from the 17th and 18th centuries. Out of the up till now known 13 printed plates, which were used at the time to print the Comenius map and their derivatives, the Přerov collection contains 10 types of derivative letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, I, P, S. The impressive number of prints in the  collection also includes derivatives of Fabricius' maps of Moravia, derivatives of Müller's maps of Moravia and maps of Moravia from the 19th century.

The most renowned of these is a map of Haná known as Kuzníkova which came about around the year 1800. The collections include historical maps of additional regions, vedutas, plans and engravings. There are also separate maps of Bohemia, Kladsko, Poland, Silesia, the Hapsburg monarchy, of Europe, drawing of the hemispheres, vedutas of Polná, Znojmo, Amsterdam, Frankfurt (Oder), Elbląg, a plan of Vienna, an undated plan of the railway between Prague and Pilsen and an engraving of the Battle of White Mountain.

The foundation of the collections was laid by František Slaměník who purchased the first and, up until recently, most valuable map of the entire collections from Richard Aron in Berlin in the year 1912. He also obtained an example of a historical map. After World War II, when the Town Museum in Přerov was combined with the Comenius Museum in Přerov, a larger amount of collectible items were added to the collection. The largest additions to the collection came about in the 1990s when additional Comenius maps of Moravia were purchased.

As of December 2015, the collection had 194 recorded items (registration numbers). The collection is primarily made use of for studying the development of map depictions of Moravia and for reproductions and editions of particular maps. Czech-English-German CD-ROM maps of Moravia from the 16th – 18th centuries were published in the year 2003 containing amongst other things catalogue collections. In the year 2004 another three language CD-ROMs of Fabricius and Comenius' maps of Moravia were published with catalogues of selected parts of the collections (Comenius maps of Moravia and one Fabricius map of Moravia).

The collection is administered by Mgr. Helena Kovářová (Social Sciences Department). 


Search

Kalendář akcí Muzeum Komenského

Ostatní akce